This episode is presented by Maximus
Ann Dunkin on Hitting Pause: Energy Department's AI and Cybersecurity Strategy
Ann Dunkin, CIO of the Energy Department, discusses the strategic pause on the use of chat GPT and generative AI, focusing on the responsible use of AI in research and operations. She highlights the importance of having a comprehensive strategy that accounts for an ever-expanding technology agenda, including cybersecurity, zero trust, and data management, without the luxury of ever-expanding resources.
- Strategic Pause: Energy Department's careful approach towards the deployment of generative AI like chat GPT.
- Coordinated Strategy: Efforts to align across the DOE with a clear strategy and plan that accounts for an expanding technology landscape.
- Continuous Modernization: Emphasis on the never-ending cycle of modernization, especially in dealing with legacy systems and technical debt.
Raymond Holder Advocates for Incremental Innovation in Government Research
Raymond Holder, Vice President of Digital Growth at Maximus, discusses how digital and data modernization tools can enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of federal researchers. He emphasizes the significance of secure, scalable infrastructure to support the increasing demands of data analysis and risk mitigation in research.
- Data as a Strategic Tool: Maximizing technology to transform raw data into actionable intelligence for researchers.
- Security-Centric Infrastructure: The necessity for a robust infrastructure that ensures data privacy and regulatory compliance.
- Continuous Innovation: Encouragement for attacking the status quo and promoting a culture of persistent innovation and improvement.
La'Naia Jones Highlights Collaboration and AI Integration at the CIA
La'Naia Jones, CIO of the CIA, discusses the intelligence community's collaborative efforts, the consolidation of AI initiatives, and the importance of cybersecurity in the context of advancing intelligence capabilities. She underscores the role of data conditioning and the agility of technology solutions to support mission-critical operations.
- Intelligence Community Collaboration: The significance of shared efforts and services within the intelligence community, highlighting the importance of partnership.
- AI and Integration: The focus on enhancing AI capabilities and data analytics for intelligence production.
- Cybersecurity and Zero Trust: The continuous advancement in cybersecurity practices, incorporating zero trust architectures to safeguard intelligence operations.